Enjoy innovative music and art experiences in the comfort of your home. Virtual SDMA+ Art of Elan is a series of short online experiences pairing The San Diego Museum of Art permanent collection with the thoughtfully curated music of Art of Elan. Building on the 13 year partnership between the two arts organizations, the video series features short musical responses to works of art that are meant to inspire and uplift the community. Art of Elan has chosen 6 prestigious musicians to kick off the series. All mini-concerts (10 minutes or less) will be available for viewing every other Tuesday at 6 p.m. PST on the Museum’s YouTube channel and includes:
· June 9: Kate Hatmaker – Violinist; artwork pairing: Virgin and Child with Saint John by Francisco de Zurbarán. Art of Elan Executive and Artistic Director Kate Hatmaker has been a part of the San Diego Symphony since 2006, and has participated in various American orchestras in the country, including the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra and the New World Symphony.
· June 23: Demarre McGill – Flutist; artwork pairing: Notre Dame by Maximilien Luce. Internationally recognized artist and Sphinx Medal of Excellence winner, McGill has appeared as soloist with the Philadelphia Orchestra, the Dallas Symphony Orchestra and more. McGill is the current principal flute of the Seattle Symphony.
· July 7: Julie Smith Phillips – Harpist; artwork pairing: In the San Felipe Valley by Charles Reiffel. Recognized as one of the most prominent young harpists, Phillips is the principal harpist of the San Diego Symphony since 2007. Having made her debut with the National Symphony Orchestra in 2003, Phillips has been honored for her playing, including the 2004 USA International Harp Competition silver medal.
· July 21: Keir GoGwilt – Violinist; artwork pairing: Doors I by Claudia Fernández. A violinist, writer and musicologist, GoGwilt is also a founding member of the arts company, AMOC. GoGwilt has soloed with groups like the Chinese National Symphony, the Boston Modern Orchestra Project and others.
· August 4: Rose Lombardo – Flutist; artwork pairing: Las Tres Virgenes Volcano at Sunset. Spanning the globe from Boston, to Europe to China, Lombardo has performed at top music halls around the world, including Carnegie Hall, Boston Symphony Hall and more. Lombardo performs regularly with the San Diego Symphony Chamber Music Series as well as Art of Elan.
· August 18: Stephanie Richards – Trumpeter; artwork pairing: Circle, Blue-Violet by DeWain Valentine. Not only a trumpeter but also a conductor and composer, Richards’ works featuring avant-garde jazz have premiered at Lincoln Center, Carnegie Hall and the Blue Note in New York. Richards has also debuted records of her work titled Fullmoon, Take The Neon Lights and the upcoming SUPERSENSE. Richards is on the faculty at UC San Diego.
June 9 – August 18, 2020
6:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.